ISSN 0524-0476 (printed)
ISSN 1853-8460 (digital)
Bonplandia is a periodic publication of the Botanical Institute of the Northeast (UNNE-CONICET), founded in 1960. The journal is open to original papers dealing with all groups of plants and related organisms (cyanobacteria, algae, fungi and lichens), both present-day organisms and fossils. The areas of study are taxonomy, anatomy, morphology, physiology, genetics, cytogenetics, applied biotechnology and functional genomics, ethnobotany, palynology, floristics, ecology and other plant biology areas. Papers in our journal are focused on the aforementioned areas concerning the Americas.
Each year, one volume is published, with two biannual issues, in January-June and July-December. The manuscripts are submitted to be peer-reviewed by external reviewers before being accepted. If accepted, manuscripts go through the editorial process, which involves different stages. First, a preliminary evaluation of the manuscript (theme, quality and presentation) is carried out by the associate editors and the Editor-in-Chief. Afterward, the content is evaluated by two external referees (single-blind review), and the Editor-in-Chief makes the final decision. The last two stages are copyediting, by the assistant editor, and the galley proofs revision, by the authors and the journal’s editors. Once ready to publish, papers are published online and are available and open to all for free before being printed.
As regards copyright, Bonplandia journal allows the author to retain it with no restrictions. Moreover, the journal is under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license, and the Instructions for authors are found at the end of each issue.
Bonplandia is indexed by: J-STOR (Storing Journals), EBSCO (Elsevier), Agrícola (National Agricultural Library), Directory Open Access Journals (DOAJ), American Botanical Literature, Latindex, Periódica, Micromorphological Bibliographical Database of Plants (PMBD), Ulrich´s Periodicals Directory and The Kew Record of Taxonomic Literature.
Correspondence related to publishing matters must be sent to the editor-in-chief María Silvia Ferrucci, Botanical Institute of the Northeast, P.O. Box 209, Corrientes 3400, Argentina; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Towards a new publications portal
In 2016, Bonplandia entered the Portal of Periodic Scientific Publications of the National University of the Northeast (UNNE) as part of its Institutional Repository project (RIUNNE), which is affiliated to the National System of Digital Repositories of Argentina (SRND).
The portal has become Bonplandia’s official website, and its platform is now working in Open Journal System (OJS): http://revistas.unne.edu.ar/index.php/bon.
The whole content of Bonplandia journal is therefore being transferred to this new platform.
Publication Ethics and Malpractice Statement (PEMS).
The following text deals with the Publication Ethics and Malpractice Statement (PEMS) and involves every participant in publishing: author(s), Editor-in-Chief, reviewers, webmasters and even the staff of the institutions Bonplandia depends on.
Bonplandia publishes peer-reviewed original papers on taxonomy, anatomy, morphology, physiology, genetics, cytogenetics, applied biotechnology and functional genomics, ethnobotany, palynology, floristics, ecology and other plant biology areas. The papers deal with all groups of plants and related organisms (cyanobacteria, algae, fungi and lichens), both present-day organisms and fossils. Once accepted, the papers are edited, and the process consists of different stages. First, a preliminary evaluation of the manuscript (theme/issue, quality and presentation) is carried out by the associate editors and the editor-in-chief. Then, the content is evaluated by two external referees, prior to copyediting, by the assistant editor. Finally, the authors and the journal’s editors perform the galley proofs revision.
Bonplandia states its interest in Open Access and publishes an annual volume with two biannual issues. In addition, the National University of the Northeast gives financial support for printing.
Bonplandia allows the author to retain his copyright without any restriction: all articles published by Bonplandia are under a Creative Commons CC BY-NC 4.0 license.
The journal is indexed in the following bibliographical resources: J-STOR (Journal Storage), Academic Abstracts (EBSCO), Agrícola (National Agricultural Library, USA), Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), Fuente Académica (EBSCO), Index to American Botanical Literature, Latindex, Periódica, Plant Micromorphological Bibliographic Database (PMBD), Ulrich’s Periodicals Directory and The Kew Record of Taxonomic Literature. The contents are also available in the official Botanical Institute of the Northeast website (http://ibone.unne.edu.ar/bonplandia/publicaciones), in J-STOR and in Fuente Académica (EBSCO). Likewise, as one of the most influential scientific journals in Argentina, Bonplandia has been included in the Núcleo Básico CAICYT-CONICET and in the Institutional Repository (RIUNNE; http://revistas.unne.edu.ar/index.php/bon) at the National System of Digital Repositories of Argentina (SNRD).
Regarding manuscripts, they are to be sent to the Editor-in-Chief: Botanical Institute of the Northeast (IBONE), P.O. Box 209, Corrientes 3400, Argentina.
Bonplandia´s Editorial Board
In Bonplandia journal, the role of the Editorial Board is crucial in the publishing process. First, the Editor-in-Chief, and then board members are responsible for deciding which articles to publish and which to reject. Said decision must be based exclusively on the author’s academic merit and the reviewers’ decisions. Peer review eases the decision-making and, if in contact with the author, may also assist him/her in improving the paper. Members of Bonplandia editorial board should follow the below-mentioned ethical guidelines, which reflect the journal’s present editorial policies.
Members’ full names, affiliations and contact information are provided in the journal’s web site.
Ethics for Editors/Editorial Members
- An editor should assess scientific contents and merits of the manuscripts, without regard to the race, gender, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, ethnicity, citizenship, or political ideology of authors.
Confidentiality agreement and conflicts of interest disclosure
- Any manuscript received by the editorial members must be kept confidential. That is, the Editorial Board must not discuss or disclose any information about a submitted manuscript outside its author(s), reviewers, potential reviewers, other editorial advisers, and the publisher, as appropriate. In addition, editors must not accept the submission of any manuscript exhibiting conflicts of interest resulting from unprofessional relationships or connections (competitive, collaborative and the like) with any author or institution associated with the paper. If such is the case, editors must declare a conflict of interest.
- Editors must take ethical misconduct seriously, especially when there are claims of confidentiality infringement, plagiarism, not declaring conflicts of interest, inappropriate usage of confidential material, or peer review delay for competitive advantage.
- Editors must not use submitted unpublished information for their personal benefits without the author’s consent or approval.
- Editors should excuse themselves from considering publishing manuscripts in which they have conflicts of interest resulting from an unprofessional relationship or connection (competitive, collaborative and the like) with any author, company or institution associated with the paper. In said case, editors must ask a co-editor, associate editor or other member of the editorial board to review and consider publishing the manuscripts. If needed, other appropriate actions, such as publishing a retraction, are to be taken by the editor.
Publication Ethics for Authors
Originality and Plagiarism. All manuscripts must be authors’ original production. That is, they must not be previously published, neither in printed nor digital format; otherwise, the previous publication will be considered evidence of plagiarism and such text or publication will be rejected on the first step of editorial evaluation. If the work and/or words of other author(s) are used, they are to be cited for the text to achieve the needed transparency.
Authorship Criteria. Authorship must be limited to those having contributed extensively to the reported study, whereas everyone who has made significant inputs/contributions will be considered co-author. Whenever there are other professionals who have participated in certain considerable aspects of the research project, they should be included in the acknowledgment section. Moreover, the paper must include a list of the contributor(s), information about authors’ access to data, conflicts of interest (including financial interests and relationships), and funding and economic support sources. The corresponding author of a paper must confirm the permission, obtained through the Authorship Form. In addition, it is forbidden to publish the same research in more than one journal. Participation in obtaining financial funding or in data collection does not justify authorship. As regards the authorship naming order, it must be based on the relevance of the contribution to the study and the manuscript production, and cannot be modified without written consent of all contributors.
Disclosure and Conflicts of Interest and Financial Support. Authors must disclose or declare any financial conflict of interest –or other substantial kind of conflict– that may arise for authors when having financial interests that may influence their interpretation of the manuscript outcomes. Regarding all accepted manuscripts, authors must state such conflicts of interest at the end of manuscripts before they are published. Likewise, an author with no conflict of interests must declare so in a statement. However, it must be noted that editors should not reject manuscripts because the authors have a conflict of interest.
Peer-review Process: A Guideline for Reviewers
- Bonplandia is a peer-reviewed academic journal which allows the quality of papers to be assessed. Before a paper is considered for being published in a peer-reviewed journal, it must undergo the following steps:
- Once an author submits a paper to Bonplandia, the Editor-in-Chief forwards it to experts specialized in the field. These experts or reviewers must carefully assess the quality of the submitted manuscript evaluating its accuracy. They must also evaluate the validity of the methodology and procedures used in the research. If needed, reviewers suggest revisions. If they find the paper lacking academic validity and rigor, they reject it.
- Judgments should be objective and reviewed papers should be treated confidentially.
- Reviewers should have no conflict of interest and should point out relevant published work which has not yet been cited.
- Any selected reviewer who feels not qualified to review the research reported in a manuscript should notify the editors and excuse himself from the reviewing process.
- Bonplandia follows the blind review process so that the manuscript and the review process remain confidential during and after the latter.
- Reviewers should not consider manuscripts in which they have conflicts of interest resulting from unprofessional relationships or connections (such as competitive and collaborative) with any of the authors or institutions associated to the papers.
- Authors should submit papers only if the research has been carried out ethically and responsibly.
- When an author finds a significant mistake or inaccuracy in his/her own published work, it is his/her duty to notify the journal’s Editor-in-Chief or publisher and collaborate with the editor to make the necessary corrections.
Copyright and Access
- Bonplandia allows authors to hold their copyright with no restrictions.
- Papers published in Bonplandia are under a Creative Commons CC BY-NC 4.0.International license.
- PDF files will be free of charge to all authors.
- Offprints must be asked for when presenting the manuscript and authors must pay for them.